The Fundamental Rights and Citizenship programme aims to promote the development of a European society based on respect for fundamental rights and rights derived from citizenship of the European Union.
The Council adopted a Decision establishing the specific programme Fundamental Rights and Citizenship for the period 2007-2013, as part of the General Programme "Fundamental Rights and Justice". It will contribute to the strengthening of the area of Freedom, Security and Justice over the period 2007-2013.
Objectives and tools
The focus of the Fundamental Rights and Citizenship programme is:
- - the protection of the rights of the child;
- - combating racism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism;
- - the fight against homophobia;
- - active participation in the democratic life of the Union;
- - data protection and privacy rights;
- - training and networking between legal professions and legal practitioners.